Tuesday 29 May 2012

My Palindrome to Brandi

Brandi's friend Kadie organised her 'stagette party', or 'hen party' as we call them. She had asked me beforehand if I could make a little video, saying "hi" and stuff. I thought it was a nice idea, but since I speak to her all the time anyway I wanted to make it a little more special.

I decided I would write her a kind of anti-palindrome poem. I don't like poetry, but I thought it would be a nice idea. For those who don't know, a palindrome is a word, or phrase or something, that reads the same backwards as it does forwards. What I was writing was something along those lines, but has a different meaning.

I was researching it a little, and found that it used to be a popular pastime for some poets centuries ago, before there was anything else to do, but pretty much one are written now, so I didn't have much to go by. 

Needless to say, I found it difficult. Almost every word I added ruined the message when reversed, or made it difficult to add to. I also knew my work may go unappreciated, as when discussing it with Brandi a while back she failed to understand the difficulty in making them.

I won't show the actual video, because I don't like my voice, and it was an "on the day only" thing, but here is the final poem. I've added punctuation to make it easier to read (since you can't hear me say it).


You're not the most important thing in my life
and I can't pretend
I loved you since the moment I saw you.
I wanted to use this to tell you
just how happy you make me,
but It's hard to believe
we were born to be together.
Other people probably agree.
We shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking
this love is forever,
and I am certain that
we will eventually get bored, and want to see other people.
There is no chance that
we will always be together.

As you know, this is the exact reverse of what I think...

We will always be together.
There is no chance that
we will eventually get bored, and want to see other people,
and I am certain that
this love is forever.
We shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking
other people probably agree.
We were born to be together,
but It's hard to believe
just how happy you make me.
I wanted to use this to tell you
"I loved you since the moment I saw you",
and I can't pretend
you're not the most important thing in my life.


My mom had warned me against giving it her, because she said the start would upset her. I think that would be an issue, but only if she ran out midway and didn't listen to the end.

Apparently, on the day, she was just smiling along, not actually listening to it because she got lost in the moment, but she said that lots of people were looking at her, confused and awkward. But then when it changed they realyl liked it!




4 comments:

  1. I hope when she sees it written she understands it - it's a lovely gesture and you've worked hard to make it work - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot :D

      I just saw you could 'reply', haven't seen this before, so let me know if it tells you I have.

      Delete
    2. No it didn't - but I have been trying to get blogger to do this for me and can't see which settings to press. Also want to change my background to a personalised one but can't figure that out either ... I think I need a major tutorial

      Delete
  2. lovely! you've really done a great job with that, very beautiful and a much more uniqe gesture than a video I think. Like jane says, when she really gets to sit down and read it she'll be so happy with it :)

    ReplyDelete